As an avid lover of human hair wigs, you must have found your wig hair to be dry, frizzy or tangled at some point in time. This condition of wigs is inevitable because of your regular exposure to several factors, which includes lack of moisture and natural oils, brushing the wig hair when it’s wet, excess heat styling, long exposure to sun, excessive use of hair styling products and exposure to hard water, sea water, and chlorine. All this causes acute damage to your human hair wigs.
Now you must be wondering how to make wig look natural, aren’t you? So here’s the blog answering all your queries related to human hair wigs. Just follow the following do’s and don’ts of human hair wigs below and you will see how easy it is to make your old human hair wig soft and natural looking again.
- Detangle The Wig– Detangling the wig must be done with care and patience. You must start detangling from the ends and gradually move to the roots. A wide tooth comb is highly recommended. While combing when you find a knot, loosen it with your fingers.A little quantity of water also helps in detangling.
- Carry Out Pre-wash Conditioning Treatment– Like natural hair, human hair wigs also need to be conditioned with the help of natural oil such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, or grapeseed oil. Apply the natural oil along the entire length of the wig hair.An alternative to natural oil conditioning is moisturizer conditioning. This is done by applying the moisturizer conditioner to wig hair for 30 minutes in the shower cap.
- Wash The Wig– A moisturizing shampoo is a must while washing a human hair wig. Apply it smoothly from the base to the ends with your palms without rubbing, twisting or massaging. Rinse thoroughly with cold/lukewarm water. Use only your fingers to clean the scalp between wig tracks.
- Carry Out Post-wash Conditioning- For this, you must apply a moisturizing conditioner starting from the scalp and adding more at the ends of the wig. Allow the conditioner to settle for 2-5 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Remove further tangles/knots with your fingers or wide-tooth comb while flushing.
- Deep Conditioning– Apply a deep conditioner on your wig and leave it at least for 15 minutes. You can either put on a shower cap or sit under the dryer to trap the heat. Then rinse thoroughly.
- Dry The Wig– Comb the hair and dry it for 15-20 minutes. Apply a moisturizer and also a dime-sized thermal product while restyling to protect the hair. A blow dryer with low heat should be used.
- Styling The Wig– Use either a flat iron rod or a curling iron to get your desired look. Start from the head and proceed backward to get this done.
- When You Sleep– Don’t wear the wig and sleep. If you do so, use a leave-in conditioner and then comb to remove tangles. Wrapping the wig hair with a silk/satin scarf or sleeping on a similar pillowcase helps in retaining the wig’s smoothness.
Before you buy wigs, it’s always wise to make yourself aware of the do’s and don’ts of human hair wigs. Human hair wigs, as the name suggests, are delicate. But with proper care and measures, its smoothness and natural look can be restored and retained.